Monday, March 2, 2009

Weekend Activities

First, a big thanks to Will, and Michele & Dave, for coming out to help us on Saturday.  In particular, I want to point out that Michele and Dave drove down from Baltimore just to help us hang fliers.  That's remarkable, and shames me and my paltry generosity.

And of course, thanks also to the usual crew (Lisa, Daphne, Donna, Nancy, et al).  It's wonderful and amazing how much more gets done than when it's just Sarah and myself.

So fliers were hung.  Helicopters were flown.  Woods were hiked.  

The extraordinary National Park Service chopper pilots were specifically on the lookout for Lucy this weekend.  We appreciate this greatly.  Now, with the snow on the ground, I imagine spotting her will be more difficult by a power of ten, but at least the weather is predicted to warm up this week.

At least the snow allowed us to see tracks.  Unfortunately none of them belonged to Lucy.

I also hiked clear across Rock Creek Park to get an idea of how Lucy might be traversing it.  The bad news is that there are a million ways for her to cross the park, and no bottlenecks where we could place a trap.  But this also means that it's entirely feasible for her to cross back and forth in a day, possibly multiple times.

We also started getting some harassing phone calls.  Probably a group of teenagers just being punks.  "I have your dog.  I want $10,000."  "I found your dog, it's dead."  And so on.  What I don't get is where's the entertainment value in that?  I mean, if you are a cognitively challenged jackass, I guess tricking someone into believing you might be funny, but they couldn't even pull that off.  So why keep calling back?  Even if they're just mean and enjoy upsetting people, they weren't getting very far with that either, so, again, why keep calling back?  I don't get where this becomes fun for a person.

Ah well, in any event, this coming week we'll try to stake-out some of the Lucy sightings during trash nights.  We'll see if she makes a reappearance.  Also, there's a thing with a stray dog that was seen at an embassy, but I don't want to go into detail until, well, until I have details.  Which will be tomorrow.  But I'm keeping hopeful that this one is Lucy and not some other stray white dog with a similar collar.  That would just suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment