Saturday, February 14, 2009

Two "Unlikely" Sightings

We have had two potential sightings that are longshots:
  1. A young man on a bus traveling up Massachusetts Ave. into Bethesda got a quick glance of a white dog, roughly the right size, with a "husky-type tail."  He couldn't see any more detail, and though he didn't see any people around the dog, couldn't be certain the dog was alone.
  2. A shelter in Montgomery County...wait for it...Pennsylvania took in a dog they described as a border collie / dalmation mix.
Number 1 is absolutely feasible.  It would be just under 4 miles, straight up Massachusetts Ave. from her previous few sightings.  She would have had several days to make the trip, and Little Falls Branch Park, where the teenager saw the white dog, would be the second significant park Lucy would have come across traveling up Mass. Ave.  It would make sense for her to at least stop there for a bit.  If the person glimpsing the dog had been able to get a slightly better view, I'd be happy to label this one at least a "maybe" sighting.

Number 2 is nearly impossible.  But hey, I read The Incredible Journey.  The shelter is about 165 miles away by car, but Google Maps' nifty walking directions tell me it's only 142 miles walking.  I don't know how they determine such things, but Google also tells me it's 1 day and 23 hours walking time.  And Lucy walks faster than me.  So, clearly, it's her.  Oh, and the shelter supposedly picked up its collie/dalmation on Tuesday, so Lucy would have had at most 3 days (possibly only 1 day) to get there.

For those of you unaware, we had just moved to D.C. a month earlier, from Albany, NY.  So several (including us) have joked that maybe Lucy is trying to make her way back to Albany, thinking that her "real" home is there.  And Google's walking directions from here to Albany go right by Perkiomenville, PA.

Like I said, nearly impossible, but you never know.  It's worth running down.  I'm the irrationally optimistic guy who buys a lottery ticket and thinks he might actually win.  I sit at a blackjack table and am genuinely surprised every time I lose a hand.  (I suppose the official term is "sucker," but I prefer to think "optimist.")

2 comments:

  1. Dan, I had a feeling I "might" have seen a fast glimpse of Lucy last week in Mclean Gardens right off of Newark Street in the forest at the end of Newark. I was walking my own dog when something white ran from the edge of Archbold forest back in, like she was "spooked". It wasn't a deer, it was smaller. So maybe it was her. If it was. It coincides with her working her way us Massachussetts Ave. up toward American University. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I hope you find her soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alberto. If you get a chance, give me a call or email me (518-275-9686, Dan@LostLucy.com) -- it would help to know what day and roughly what time. I'm happy to run down any sighting, however slim a lead it might be. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete